WoWBB.org

How to make a Custom Patch 3.3.5

Pyre

How to fix the "?" problem in 3.3.5

Disclaimer: In the event of any problems or errors occurring to your world of Warcraft client, I take no responsibility. With that being said the way to fix the custom "?" error should not mess up your client if you follow the steps correctly.

First thing is first, you need the below programs to follow this guide.

MPQ Editor: 

Dear guest, please login or register to see this content.

DBCutil: 

Notepad++: 

--STEP 1--

Find your DBC folder, it may be in your build's release folder. (Mine is in my world of Warcraft directory).

Once you have opened that folder scroll down until you find Item.dbc

When you find it right click and click copy to desktop.

--STEP 2--

Open up your Database. (I use HeidiSQL)

Click on your world DB and go to your query table, Copy and paste this there...

Go down to the bottom and right click on one of the rows, click Export grid rows.

VjiGJfK.png

You will then see a window that looks just like this... Make sure your settings are the same as mine!

N9m6hsU.png

Ok, you should now have 2 files on your desktop.. Item.dbc and item.csv

5gCY7RR.png

ok open your DBCutil folder, and drag your Item.dbc file onto your DBCutil.exe, this should make a file on your desktop called Item.dbc.csv. (you can now delete item.dbc from your dekstop.)

tEY9cQH.png

Right click each of the files and click open with Notepad++, ok now go to ITEM.CSV NOT ITEM.DBC.CSV. Now find all the item ids of your custom gear. (I believe for the first time you make a patch you can just select and copy all of it. You will not be able to copy everything the second time you do this, You will get an error!). Once you have copied all of your items out of Item.csv, Paste them at the bottom of your item.dbc.csv, You must leave on space at the end of the Item.dbc.csv file!

ayQHANc.png

Now save your Item.dbc.csv, and drag it back ontop of DBCutil.exe, this should turn it back into a .dbc file. once you have done that drag your dbc file you just made and drop into your world of Warcraft > DBC folder. DO NOT REPLACE YOUR OLD ONE! Simply change the name of your old item.dbc to item1.dbc or something, Keep it as a backup.

--STEP 3--

Now time to make the patch. Go and open the MPQeditor.exe. Click MPQs and then new MPQ.

A window should then pop up, click on the three dots to the right and navigate it to you world of Warcraft > data folder.

and type in for the file name.. patch-5.MPQ.

g4moKqK.png

Click save. then Next > Next > Next > Finish.

now right click in the right window below attributes, and click new folder.

Name the folder DBFilesClient

dz60jNg.png

Exactly like that 

Go into that folder, and then go to the top and select Files > Add Files

IgrLsdi.png

Now Navigate to your dbc folder and click on your item.dbc and then click open.

and now close out of MPQeditor, no need to save or anything just hit X.

Now start up your server and you should be seeing item images instead of the red "?".

If you have any errors or are confused on any part in this tutorial, feel free to PM me or leave a reply here.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in order to use an item that has a question mark, you just need to make a custom patch for it using the tutorial above. You shouldn't need to patch anything else. Of course, your players will need to place the patch inside their data folder for this to work though.

• 4 months later...